It’s simply impossible to avoid traveling by vehicle, making owning your own vehicle a borderline must in most parts of the states. More and more diversity has appeared on the market, with several safe, reliable options to go along with several fast and exciting ones.
MinnesotaBets.com briefly broke from Minnesota sportsbooks updates and decided to see exactly which car brands are most popular across the United States, with an emphasis on which types of vehicles are most popular in each state. We did this by using carlogos.org as a starting point to find the 50 most popular car brands and then using google trends to search each car brand to see the highest level of interest in each state for the brand.
Favorite Car Brand By State
After completing the trends for a 12-month cycle from July 25th, 2022 to July 25th, 2023, we were able to average out the results to get the top car brand for each state. Below is some information you won't find on any Minnesota betting apps once they launch.
- Honda (7 states): Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina
- Dodge (5 states): Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico
- Ford (4 states): Michigan, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming
- Audi (4 states): Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York
- Mercedes-Benz (3 states): Florida, Georgia, Virginia
- Chevy (3 states): Kentucky, North Dakota, Oklahoma
- Mazda (3 states): Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Washington
- Volkswagen (3 states): New Hampshire, Oregon, Utah
- Buick (3 states): Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin
- Hyundai (3 states): Alabama, Arizona, Illinois
- 1 state: California (Tesla), Hawaii (Toyota), Maine (Volvo), Nebraska (Lincoln), Nevada (BMW), New Jersey (Land Rover), Ohio (Kia), Rhode Island (Alfa Romeo), Tennessee (Nissan), Texas (Lamborghini), Vermont (Subaru), West Virginia (Jeep)
Minnesota Loves Mazdas
Honda dominated the rankings, taking first place in seven states - Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Dodge and Ford came next, with five and four states preferring those vehicles.
We were primarily interested in seeing which vehicles were most popular in Minnesota, and the data from the search shows that the most popular vehicle brand in Minnesota is Mazda. The Mazda CX-5 Crossover stands out among the brand’s options as it’s a clear top seller in the state, and the country as a whole. The CX-5 has gained popularity by being one of the most luxurious feeling options in a pretty basic compact crossover market, while unfortunately having to sacrifice a bit of space and legroom at the same time.
One specific driving need for Minnesotans is the ability to handle winter weather, and while not every Mazda is perfect for the snow, the SUV including the CX-5 and the bulkier CX-50 can handle any conditions the weather throws at them.
Two other states preferred Mazda over any other brand - Pennsylvania and Washington. While both states are far away from Minnesota, they all share the need to have a vehicle that can handle some winter weather as all three states see periods of snow, though Minnesota certainly gets more sustained cold weather than the other two Mazda-loving states.
While Honda will continue to ride to the top of the rankings in many states thanks to the Accord, Civic and CR-V, Mazda has made headway in Minnesota on its way to being the most popular vehicle in the state, and more states are likely to follow their lead.
Cecil Peters is a Senior Betting Analyst for MinnesotaBets.com. A professional sports bettor in Canada, Cecil specializes in analyzing the latest odds impacting professional sports, particularly MLB and the NHL. He will be providing insight throughout the baseball season.